When it rains we can often feel miserable, especially in winter. So when it rains when we’re on holiday we usually roll our eyes and sign with disappointment – how dare it rain and ruin the day! But it doesn’t have to ruin your day.
Come rain or shine Disney World really is the happiness place on earth. Some people laugh whenever I say this, but honestly it’s true. Every time I’ve been there the cast members, and yes this even includes the security guards, are always friendly and enjoy a joke or three, even when it’s pouring with rain. So what can you do to not let the rain spoil your day at Disney?
Here are my five tips to ensure you can make the most out of your day whatever the weather:
1. Buy a poncho – everyone looks ridiculous in them, but they keep you dry and they’re better then umbrellas blowing inside out. Plus they don’t take as much space in your bag. Also, they are available to buy in every park.
2. Enjoy some of the walk through tours, e.g. Hollywood Studios Walt Disney Presents. You’ll keep dry for a while, although perhaps not warm due to the air conditioning, but you can wait out the rain.
3. Talk to people – in queues or anywhere. Mainly because, why not? Not only does it help to pass the time but seen as everyone is on holiday, or has a day off, everyone is happier and more likely to enjoy the random conversation. Most of us don’t usually care for making small talk when we’re commenting to and from work, but I find that when we’re on holiday we love meeting new people.
4. Take advantage of the indoor rides or shows – some of the indoor rides you may have never considered going on because they’re too kiddish, but now is the time. Plus you get to stay inside, even if it’s only 5 minutes.
Psst: ever been on the Winnie the Pooh ride in Magic Kingdom? It’s cute, very much aimed at young children, but the child inside will thank you for it.
5. Go to a cafe or restaurant and enjoy some of the amazing food. Like you really need an excuse to try even more tasty food, but it’s a great way to spend an hour or so out of the rain – although restaurant will more than likely get full. Or why not try for a quick service place or a coffee stop, maybe you can strike up a conversation with the people on the next table and enjoy the extra company.
Now go and enjoy the next time it rains, you might even break into song… I’m singing in the rain…
You can check out all the Disney related posts here.